Friday, January 9, 2015

Pumpkin Pie

I use the same pie dough recipe for all of my pies: Butter Pie Crust

The pie filling that I use is the Eagle Brand recipe, on the can of sweetened condensed milk:

Eagle Brand Perfect Pumpkin Pie

  • 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin (about 2 cups)
  • 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust

  • HEAT oven to 425°F. Whisk pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices and salt in medium bowl until smooth. Pour into crust.
  • BAKE 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted 1-inch from crust comes out clean. Cool. Garnish as desired. 


  • I made a few changes.  I skip the ginger and I use 1 1/2 t. cinnamon and 1/2 t. nutmeg.  I also use 2 cups of fresh pumpkin.  I also bake my crust (empty) for about 10 mins at 400 deg. This helps to avoid a soggy bottom.

    This Thanksgiving, I also added a Pecan Praline Topping from Better Homes and Gardens:

    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    6 T. butter
    3 T. heavy cream
    1/4 t. salt
    1 t. vanilla extract
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans (I used 1/2 cup)

    While pie is baking prepare the topping. 
    In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, butter, cream, and salt over medium low heat.  Simmer for about 5 mins, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and pecans. 
    Cool pie for 30 mins before adding the topping.  If the topping hardens too much, heat over low heat until pourable. 
    Topping will harden as it cools. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment