Sunday, July 15, 2012

Shortcake

This is what I use for my strawberries, instead of the spongy ones at the grocery stores.  My friend Lindsey gave me this recipe.  Its the one that her dad makes. 

2 cups of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 stick butter, chilled-cut into 8 pieces
2/3-3/4 cup of milk

Preheat oven to 425

In food processor, or mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, pulse to mix.  Add cup up butter to mixture and pulse until mixture is well mixed.  There will be small chunks of butter.  Transfer to a large bowl and stir in milk, just until dough is moist.  Let dough stand for a minute.  Knead dough 2-3 times, until its less sticky.  Add more flour if needed. 
Pat the dough into 3/4 inch thick, by 3 inch wide biscuits.  Can be done with your hands, or a cookie cutter.  Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 10-15 mins,  until risen and golden brown. 

Makes about 8 shortcakes.

Here is a picture of some that I made, if you can see it under the strawberries and cream.  I used real cream and whipped it with a little bit of sugar and vanilla. 



No comments:

Post a Comment